Contributors: Jeffery Scott Magnuson (University of Central Florida)
1) Purpose: The patient had a history of biopsy proven squamous cell carcinoma of the right palatine tonsil and elected for surgical resection as a primary treatment.
2) Instruments: The DaVinci surgical robot was used with the Maryland dissector and a monopolar cautery on the arms. The FK retractor was used to suspend the patient and gain exposure.
3) Landmarks: The right palatine tonsil is resected along with a cuff of pharyngeal musculature.
4) Procedure: In sequence, the initial incision on the anterior tonsillar pillar, the exposure of the parapharyngeal space, the removal of the specimen, and the final defect are shown.
5) Conflicts of interest: for JSM: Intuitive Surgical: Instructor/Proctor, Honoraria; Lumenis: Consultant, Honoraria; Medrobotics: Member Strategic Advisory Panel, Honoraria.
6) References: Chung, T. K., Rosenthal, E. L., Magnuson, J. S. and Carroll, W. R. (2014), Transoral robotic surgery for oropharyngeal and tongue cancer in the United States. The Laryngoscope. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/lary.24870
Review Transoral Robotic Assisted Radical Tonsillectomy.